Tuesday 10 January 2017

Happy New Year

I last posted just before the Christmas madness overtook us and here I am, as if by magic, in the quiet aftermath.
Isn't it funny how we get caught up in the crazy supermarket frenzy, made worse somehow by the New Year holiday being so close to Christmas. Those of you, of a certain age, (coughs delicately) and living here, North of the border in Scotland, will recall the days when all the shops closed at New Year for THREE DAYS at least! I'm talking food shops. This instilled in us a siege mentality that weirdly still exists today, despite the fact that I discovered that supermarkets this year would be open throughout New Year, no holiday at all. I still sneaked an extra loaf into my trolley, just in case.

I had no turkey responsibilities this year so things were quite quiet Chez Bluepatch. I had extra encouragement to help me sew in the shape of a new sewing table. A kind friend tipped me off about a sturdy looking possibility in a local charity shop and I had a look, liked it, and it was delivered on 22nd December. My old table had become quite wobbly and this one is really solid, a little longer and wider so it just gives me more options for working.

I wasted no time getting to work on some sewing and spent a particularly pleasant morning a couple of days before Christmas.



Some of you may recall my Dog's Dinner BOM - what you see above is the dry run for the four outer corner blocks. Since this session I have almost managed to sew the blocks together, but not quite. Before long, I should have a Dog's Dinner quilt top to share............bet you can't wait.

Since New Year I have been making progress with a very important commission piece - I recently discovered Little Cotton Rabbits , a site with the most delightful knitted rabbits, teddies etc. I really wanted to have a go and offered to make one for my Grand daughter, warning her that it would take Grandma a long time. I gave her the choice of patterns and my heart sunk a little when she opted for the monkey, I thought it looked a bit tricky. I always claim to be a rubbish knitter, it's just not my first love, or my forte. But with this excellent pattern which is so explanatory and helpful, I did it.

She's actually quite tiny, and her accelerated progress caused great excitement, reaching its peak today after nursery. We have decided that Millie is a nice name for a monkey.

So, that is my first finish of the year, my next has to be the big wedding quilt, much done, not a lot to do.

In Aurifil news I am exploring the idea of concentrating my online sales on our favourite neutral shades.
For those of you attending Amanda's classes I will be popping in this week and next with my wee pop up shop and some fresh stock, so hope to see you there.

I'll leave you with an image of this beautiful Christmas gift I received from a kind friend from Down Under................










4 comments:

  1. It sounds like you had a great holiday! Love the monkey and your new table looks perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your pre-Christmas sewing sounds so peaceful and orderly. Love that little monkey and I'll bet you now have earned a million grandma brownie points!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That monkey is wonderful. You are the best Grandma!
    Wasn't sure if the sewing minder was a brilliant idea or another dust catcher!!
    Have a wonderful sewing year Sheila, your refreshed sewing spot with new table looks perfect for creating!

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...