Sunday 11 March 2018

Chilly Sewing

Looking back to my last post how silly of me to suggest Spring was in the air, how wrong could I be?

To be fair, here in Ayr we (whispers) had no snow! Cold, yes, but no lying snow - we are so fortunate to be sheltered by the Isle of Arran although of course other parts of Ayrshire not a million miles away suffered the snowy disruption that much of the UK did. We did for a brief moment in time share the fuel, bread and milk shortages, but really nothing too dramatic.

So on those cold days and with my OH away for a little longer than planned due to air traffic delays (weather related) I got on with some sewing.

My Bella Sampler, still in three sections but now has wadding and backing cut into three appropriate sections also. Quilting will commence in the fullness of time.

The Irish Chain quilt that I shared with you has grown slightly in real life and much more on paper.

I showed you my original plan - just nine blocks.

But I decided to explore the options of adding in lots of LV blocks and have come up with this option - 25 blocks! It'll be a slow burner as I work through my scraps cutting squares when I feel like it and sewing blocks whenever. I intend to enjoy the process.

 I also worked on an updated version of an old class project, Topsy. My original class sample was made using Christmas colours so for this new version I chose a Lewis and Irene range called Island Girl that reminded me of Disney's Moana. When finished, it will of course go to a small person I know. (wink)
These photos show my progress, it also has been layered up and awaits quilting!!








I do hope eventually to add this version to my original pattern and offer it for sale but I seem to work pretty slowly these days so it might be a while yet...........

Sprinkled in to my sewing there were a couple of gifts, a rope bowl which was very well received.] and I joined with my Bee Buddies to make a couple of baby quilts for another Bee Grannie to be (!!)

I attended my first meeting of the Ayrshire Modern Quilters' Guild - it is held in the most super accommodation right on the platform of Kilmarnock train station - the old waiting room has been beautifully converted into a really comfortable multi purpose room, bright and cheerful and through a connecting door is the equally pleasant cafe. Genius.

And finally on the sewing front I have continued to make (2) my Attic Window cushions in Amanda's classes. As I will miss the final two classes I ramped up my progress on these and have completed one. I absolutely love the fabric I chose for this project but on completion I wish I had used stronger tones for my "window sills"...........always learning.

This is cushion #1 all layered up and quilted (YES) - I always add the back sections to the front and quilt as one before binding the short ends and folding, enveloped style. Makes for a really luxurious cushion.
And here is an actual finish!!


And finally, here in the UK it's Mother's Day. Not only will I be lucky enough to spend time today with both my "children" and their spouses, but we will all be celebrating my grand daughter Ava's 6th birthday - she is excited beyond belief about her birthday and the excitement will continue on as she is getting my old Janome 3/4 sized machine, a sewing basket full of goodies and a promise of sewing lessons from Grandma. We'll see how that goes.............

Have a great Sunday wherever you are.xx







2 comments:

  1. In the fullness of time is a great phrase to use when talking about finishing a quilt Sheila! I must remember it :)
    Did you manage to escape the snow this weekend too? If you did, you were luckier than we were although as we had no plans to go anywhere it didn't make much impact other than enhancing the view!
    Hope to hear all about the Modern Quilt Guild meeting sometime soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your plans for your Irish Chain quilt! Hope Ava's birthday went well and she's enjoying her sewing lessons xx

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...