Wednesday 4 January 2012

Under Starter's Orders......

2012 Finish-A-Long

Rhonda over at Quilter in the Gap is hosting a finish-a-long. I have been watching with interest as folks sign up to join in and pondering my own UFOs.
I already have 3 WIPs so not counting them as UFOs yet as they really are ongoing, well, two ongoing and one just started.
So I went to the drawer marked "UFOs" and pulled out some stuff.......but, I need to be realistic, I just know I won't pull off the finishes needed to complete all my UFOs so will spread them out as the year rolls on.
Most of my UFOs start out as class or workshop samples. I usually have a finished sample ready for classes but quite often make another as I demo. These are the ones that lie unfinished, and unloved.
 Last January I held a Crazy Patchwork workshop and had prepped several hand-pieced blocks. I am holding another similar workshop in early February so would really like to take this wee quilt along, finished! For some reason I layered it with wadding onto muslin and hand quilted. Since then I have put on a backing piece and it needs to be caught down here and there, and then bound - how hard can that be?

This one is also from a workshop - my "Day Trip around the World" - this was a case of showing how to, rather than telling, and it left me with a quilt top. Later, I used my embroidery machine to add some "Carribean Creatures" and nothing more has been done, this might be a 2010 baby. When I took it out of the drawer today I thought it might make a super baby playmat........
And lastly, this next one was my Dead Simple Quilt - I cheated and did a mini version so this only measures about 18" square. It really wouldn't take much to transform it into something.....but what?
My name is Sheila, and I am a poor finisher.......

15 comments:

  1. I've just linked up too! I was realistic and picked three projects that I stand a chance of finishing. Although I bet I end up just finishing one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the second one and agree it would make a gorgoeus baby quilt. I am all out of ideas for what you could do with the Dead simple squares though :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh your 'baby makes' are going to go into overdrive soon!

    Dead Simple cushion?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the middle one, such cute embroidery. Good to choose three that are achievable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice UFOs! The second one will definitely make a cute playmat :)
    I'd vote cushion or car seat blankie for your dead simple quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the sea horse! These UFOs look lovely already, just think how fab they'll be when they're finished! You can do it! Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. ha! you are so not a poor finisher!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great ufo' not toooo much work to be done on them, you should do fine!!
    At 18" your Dead Simple could be a lumbar cusion, a hot water bottle""LDL

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great projects - I particularly love the seahorse quilt! The DSQ would be a good size for a pram/buggy quilt for a grandbaby *g*

    ReplyDelete
  10. Let me start with...thanks for playing with us and linking up. OK now that the formalities are out of the way...I love the baby quilts but I seriously adore your Dead Simple colors. I am thinking it would make an elegant sewing machine cover. Or maybe a mixer/toaster cover. Or how about a makeup bag. So many possibilities.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think those are all fun projects for the FAL. I like the idea of a DS pillow, or add big borders and make another baby quilt?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm in love with the sea horse! Some good projects there that I am sure you can finish just so they don't sit there and mock you from the bottom of the pile any more.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hehe! That last line makes me laugh and I'm joining up too as I have the same problem!

    Go for it Sheila those makes deserve a finish!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your sea horse. I've used those designs in a quilt too! Great to find some who uses machine embroidery in their quilts!

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...