Saturday 18 May 2013

Bloggers' Quilt Festival - Spring 2013

Hard to believe it's Festival time again, hard to believe it's Spring - we have the lights on here, it's just after midday and we have torrential rain - just as well I quilt!!
We are allowed to enter two categories this time, so for my first I am entering my Strippy quilt into the Bed Quilt category.
For those of you visiting for the first time, I should just mention that I teach P & Q here in my little corner of Scotland. Last year I ran a mini course in making a Strippy Quilt and how to put it together using Quilt As You Go techniques. I am a great believer in QAYG, saves all that heaving about of large, heavy quilts and cuts down on the swearing too.
Early on in the year I came across Velocity, a fabric line by Brit Jessica Hogarth, and I just knew I wanted to use it, and I knew it would make a great "manly" quilt for my son.
Strippies are brilliant for those fabrics that you really want to showcase and can't bear cutting into. My Strippy is totally reversible and was constructed in three sections, each of two fabrics. I used four different fabrics from Velocity and each one made an appearance in 3 strips.
Each section was heavily quilted with lots of unmarked vertical and horizontal lines, using Aurifil 50wt cotton, almost a whole 1300m spool!!

The front

The back

and some close ups



I loved making this quilt, and was so pleased with the finish - it measures approx 80" square, fits a UK double bed (US full??) and I used Hobbs 80/20 batting, my favourite.

I am linking to the Festival and would encourage you all to go and visit regularly to see all the quilts, it is so inspiring. Thanks for dropping by. (I am off to put the heating on!)

AmysCreativeSide.com

14 comments:

  1. I would so love to see this wonderful quilt in person, I just love the quilting and how it compliments the fabrics so nicely. A lovely festival entry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this one too. Great colours

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the heating on now - brrr! Love the fabrics in this quilt

    ReplyDelete
  4. Proper manly quilt, I bet he loves it. I haven't tried QAYG - but really should as I'm quite scared of quilting big quilts and hate all the manouvering and trying to baste properly. Juliex

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great quilt for a man.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like a proper man quilt, great fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this quilt, Sheila and the quilting really is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's lovely Sheila and the fabrics you used are perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is a great quilt Sheila and it sounds like your son will be needing it at the moment! No Spring here either :(

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fun!!! The quilting on this one suits the design so well. Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yeah great man quilt and QAYG is good!

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...