By assembling my quilt this way, it allows me to actually enjoy the quilting, as the widest section is only about 36" wide. I quilted simply, by stitching on either side of the vertical and horizontal seams. A minor error has become a design opportunity (coughs).
My backing had to be pieced a bit - I had, a while ago, bought 4yds of a beige & white houndstooth patterned fabric. Got it cheap and had no plans. Note to self, if buying like this buy in units of at least 2.25 yards and I would at least get multiple drops for a quilt length. The other fabric was an AMH stripe in a lovely aqua. Forget the name of the range, I'll find out for the final reveal. Anyway, the centre panel was backed in the aqua so I matched my bobbin thread to that and used the same up top.
Moved on to an outer section, this time backed with the beige, so I filled up a bobbin to match..........and forgot to change the top back to the lovely pale aqua thread I had used. So for the sidxee sections I quilted vertically in beige, and horizontally in aqua, as if it was always meant to be!! Both threads were Aurifil 50wt.
I set my stitch length to 3.5 and always use a Schmetz 80/12 Jeans needle, both for piecing and quilting.
If time allows, I might even get finish this up in time for the end of the 2nd FAL quarter.