Monday 3 June 2013

Zakka 2.0

Hardly seems a year since I took part in the Zakka 1.0 Sew A Long, it was great fun.
This year we are following the project in Ayumi's book, Patchwork Please and the SAL kicks off today with her Bell Pepper Coasters.


Here in the UK we don't tend to call them bell peppers (do we??) - just plain old peppers, but there's nothing plain about these wee babies.
The instructions were clear and concise and I made my pattern pieces from freezer paper. I ironed them onto my chosen fabric pieces and stitched around the edge of the paper.
My only, tiny, modification was to fashion a couple of wee stalks from fabric rather than felt.
I have only made two as I am a bit pushed for time this week, although to be fair, these took no time at all. I might come back to the project later and make the full set of four, reckon they would make a cute gift.
I am linking to Lindsey's blog. Lindsey is our host again for this SAL.

Meanwhile, I have managed to get on with my two Bee commitments for June. First up was Judith's blocks for Bee Blessed. This month she chose the Woven Ribbons block which was quick and straightforward to do and I look forward to seeing a pile of them come together.



And then in Bee a Brit Stingy, it's Collette's turn for blocks and she has chosen a Scrappy Trip Around the World. Again, pretty straightforward. Now this Bee is a stash / scrap bee and Collette asked for scrappy and bright. Hmm, I think  hope I got it right. usually when I make a couple of bee blocks I make two similar ones but today I decided to cut fairly random strips and see what I could come up with - think I was paying homage to Katy's Scrap Vomit theories.



I have made coordinated Trips before but am amazed at how good these totally scrappy blocks look together.








15 comments:

  1. I love your peppers. I really wanted to do an orange one too. Maybe I will now that I have seen your orange pepper. I love your blocks too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your scrappy Trip around the World blocks, I have just joined a Scrappy Trip Bee so have made my very first blocks. They are addictive.

    Will be following the Patchwork Please SAL too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your blocks for Collette, it's going to be such a great quilt! Love the peppers - little ones would make great fridge magnets...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job on the peppers and the blocks. Now if only I actually had a need for coasters lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your coasters look fantastic. I'm in the process of enlarging the pattern to make hot pads. Should be fun! Love all your blocks too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sheila - I can't believe it has been a year already! Love your peppers and your blocks. I especially like the orange fabrics. You've been a busy lady I see.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great wee coasters - I always think her books look very good. Juliex

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fab blocks S! Thank you! And those peppers are good enough to eat! Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bee blocks done and Zakka project complete! Definitely top of the class. Di x

    ReplyDelete
  10. The peppers look great :-)I am going to try to get at least one made this week - glad to hear it is pretty straightforward!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great start to the month Sheila!

    I am glad having had the practice at scrappy trips - yours look great!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your coasters. You've been busy with the bee blocks, they all look great.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've stopped by to see your zakka peppers, and the rest of your work is fabulous, too! I really love the little stems you've created - so cute! Your peppers are definitely sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello Sheila, I'm so pleased to have discovered your blog. Your peppers are cute and the blocks are lovely. I'm just re-acquainting myself with patchwork after a break of many years so will be popping in often to see what you are working on. Elizabeth (also from Ayr!)

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...