Sunday 20 May 2012

Spring Quilt Festival

I am hoping to squeeze my quilt into Amy's Quilt Festival, as I write this post there are already 340 entries - wow! Why don't you pop over and have a look while you enjoy a cuppa?

Amy's Creative Side
So, I looked at the criteria for entering and decided to show off my hexie quilt again, some of you have seen it before, if you are visiting for the first time, welcome and thanks for popping in.
I started this quilt last year after Lynne and Gail started their hex-a-long. They, in turn, had been inspired by
a beautiful take on a traditional quilt and I was intrigued. I started quilting in 1998 but have fervently avoided piecing over papers. I am not fond of Grandmother's Flower Garden and could never have believed that I would spend hours and hours cutting, basting and stitching........so that was a huge learning curve.
In blogging, I was getting to know others and I learned that it was possible to make real friends this way, who'd have thought? Several of us would share our hexies and compare notes along the way.
As someone who hated maths in school, I was obsessed with all the intricate shapes possible from the humble hexagon. I began to see hexies everywhere........
I never really imagined it would become a quilt, didn't think I'd make it that far, but the obsession was too strong.
My fabric choice started with the soft greys and teals and then I pulled from my stash and added in pinks & purples - I was into 1001 Peeps at the time so some of that crept in and before I knew it I had a quilt.
I set myself goals - finish all the hexies by Christmas, join the rows by end of January, etc, etc.
Then came the quilting. I had never hand pieced a quilt before so was dubious about the lasting qualities of my stitching. I machine quilted every seam with a fancy schmanzy stitch. I did the borders with a straight line half hexie shape. One day, I might, will, might, do a little hand quilting too.




I love it - it's a quilt that doesn't fit in with any colour scheme I have, not really big enough for a bed (about 60 x 70), but it has wormed itself into my affections nevertheless.



24 comments:

  1. Fabulous entry into the festival Sheila and I for one am thrilled to see it again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. THis festival is fantastic - we get to see all those gorgeous quilts again! Like Susan I am pleased to see this one coming out to flaunt itself and it is a bit of a reminder as I still have not finished my version - nowhere near ...well done Sheila!

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a great entry to the festival

    ReplyDelete
  4. what an interesting hexi quilt Sheila - I love the fussy cut panels in it
    - thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this; it turned out so beautifully after your dubious start xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow! that's gorgeous - I bet you are glad you persevered!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A worthy contestant. I like this quilt too. Di x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm pleased to see it again. I like looking at all the different parts of this one. The fussy cut pieces, the changes in the colours. It's lovely to see the details.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Seeing hexies, well that's a little different from seeing stars I guess... ;o) Great choice of entry, i'm hoping to get mine in this afternoon once I've been to gran's for some photos!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is beautiful, it is nice to see more of this quilt. I love the stitching and how all the different patterns of hexies work so well together. Wonderful quilt for the festival!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful quilt, so visually soft and calming.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Really beautiful work! it's so fun to challenge yourself to something out of your comfort zone.

    ReplyDelete
  13. really creative!

    Check out my blog if you can...

    Margaret Gunn
    www.quiltsoflove.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Perfect choice for BQF and great story too! Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  15. this is just so beautiful! love the colors and the progression. great job. thanks for sharing and have a great day

    ReplyDelete
  16. lovely quilt Sheila....so many trying to go through all of them yesterday....lol. Have to get back...I got around 250 viewed....good luck

    ReplyDelete
  17. All this hexie-variations! Great! I would love to see more details of that gorgeous quilt...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your quilt is wonderful! You could sit for hours and look at all the details. It looks as though every hexi is different. I love your fancy quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Amazing work, beautiful:))

    ReplyDelete
  20. It's so lovely to see your hexy quilt again, I was just thinking about it last night!

    ReplyDelete
  21. such a lovely quilt! I've become enamoured with hexies lately myself, mostly the stars that come when you divide them up.

    ReplyDelete
  22. That's quite a special quilt. I like the phrase "wormed itself into my affections." Thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...