Monday 21 May 2012

Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah

My number came up in last week's Zakka draw!! I have won $30 gift voucher from Zipit, our favourite Etsy zip store. I foresee many zippy pouches in my future, really chuffed to win, thank you Zipit.

This week's Zakka style project is a smallish quilt - I am giving this one a body swerve for now as my holiday approaches - but I was asked yesterday if I could make another cot quilt for my little nephew and I think this one might fit the bill.

Looking ahead through the projects a couple of weeks ago,  I started making the messenger bag - I spent a lovely self-indulgent day breaking the back of the project but had to put it on the back burner until I sourced and took delivery of the required hardware.

I pencilled in today as the day it would be completed and despite an unscheduled babysit, I have just managed to complete it.
It is actually next week's project but too excited not to share now.



I am pretty pleased with myself - now before you all rush to tell me about my wonderful quilting, I have to confess and tell you about my fabric choices.
The book, of course, suggested linen, but I have a wee pile of interesting fabrics that one of my lovely ladies in class - "Pink Caryl" provided. She has a friend who works in a textile company, not sure where or what, but she accesses samples that...wait for it......sit down............would otherwise be sent to .......landfill!!
Dreadful!!
Most of these fabric samples are decent sized, all home decorating weight, so when Caryl brings a pile to class, we all shout , with one accord - "BAGS".
So the fabric in my stash that became my bag outer, is a cotton/silk blend, yum, and has a quilted finish. My husband, known for his artisitc sensibilities, thinks it looks like a bit of carpet underlay - remember "Tredaire?"
The leaves were fashioned from scraps of faux suede and other home dec samples I have had for many years. They give lovely texture to the front of the bag.
Inside I used fresh, new apple cotton but miscalculated the amount needed and had to mix it with some Lizzy House bracelet fabric.
I used a strong cotton webbing for the straps. This is one of those smug makes that hasn't cost much at all, I might even use it!
I found the pattern fine to follow. I did reduce the width of the gusset (not keen on the word "gusset") and I completely missed the instruction to topstitch the top of the pockets..grrrr.......and I think I might slip something into the base just to firm up my bottom. (steady...!!)

29 comments:

  1. The bag looks brilliant and I love that lining fabric you used!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your pockets look totally fine without the top stitching. Actually I don't think I would like it as much with it since it would break the quilting line. Your bag looks totally awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best get some support in your foundation, you wouldn't want a saggy bottom (or gusset!)!!

    Brill bag and well done for saving that poor fabric from the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A nice strong undercarriage eh!?
    It looks fantastic - bravo! And congrats again on your win xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. well done with all those lovely zips and I love the bag!

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is absolutely beautiful! great work!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. this is absolutely beautiful! great work!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am glad you are going to retrofit to avoid a saggy bottom!

    Love that Orla Keily leaf look!

    You must use it or pass it to someone who will love it ....ahem! Hand in the air waving!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aw Sheila you really made me laugh :-) What's one persons beautifully quilted bag fabric is another persons tredaire... lol Good luck firming up your bottom, hope it doesnt involve too much clenching...lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your bag looks brill. The first kinds of bags I remember making relied heavily on recycled/repurposed fabrics. One of my bosses snickers like a school boy if you say the word gusset. I discovered this when he was after some big envelopes and I said - ah you need one's with gussets...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Can't go past a firm bottom! It (the bag, not your bottom) looks fabulous, love the appliquéd leaves.
    Congrats on the win too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow it looks fab, and congrats on the win...it's always good to have a win here and there.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The best makes are the thrifty ones and this one is no exception. Congrats on your win too. Di xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. It is always lovely to read your posts! I like the bag and congrats on the zips!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love this bag and laughing at your brilliant post!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hmmm, body swerves, gussets and bottoms?? Nuff said!

    The bag is fabulous btw! Isn't it so satisfying turning potential land-fill into fab accessories? jxo

    ReplyDelete
  17. It looks fab, that sample fabric is perfect. Not sure I want to know about your unsteady bottom though... ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nice job. Hope you enjoy your holiday - you've earned it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your purse is lovely! I've been thinking about mine, not sure what I was going to use yet as far as fabric goes. I've justed started the quilt, and if I finish that this week I'll be feeling pretty good! Your purse looks great, though! One can never have too many bags, right?!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Very nicely done! I am so making this bag!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love this bag. Landfill, imagine

    ReplyDelete
  22. awesome bag!!! love it and the fabrics x

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hilarious blog . . . . .and a great bag!

    ReplyDelete
  24. It's fantastic! And I love the story behind this bag so much! You were so smart to use that quilted fabric - it sets off the details perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  25. When I saw the picture I was like: OMG what a perfect quilting :-) Great choice, looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Your bag is beautiful! I think I need your friend with teh fabric samples!

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...