Tuesday 27 November 2012

The days are getting shorter......

.......and it's nothing to do with winter! It's definitely something to do with the run up to Christmas.
Life sure is busy just now. Since my last post, I have made another kiddy pillowcase with integrated pocket for a little soft toy - I made the first one in the summer during the Zakka sew a long and this one is for the little daughter of a friend of my daughter. She is going to be two soon.
 The solid cotton is the palest pink so that hopefully it won't fight with any current decor.

I fitted in a tiny bit of shopping at my LQS, Sew Materialistic and got these two fat quarters. 

They are from a range called Mod Century, by Jenn Ski for Moda - I might have to get me some more.

Most of my classes are held in a local community centre, managed by volunteers. Last Saturday was the annual Christmas Fayre and now that I no longer work on Saturdays, I was able to contribute a bit of time to  run a stall.........I found myself offering to do a White Elephant - for those of you unfamiliar with this term, think Bric a Brac. I put out a plea to my classes and soon became swamped with white elephants. My friend Delia and I piled it high and sold it cheap making just over £60 which will go into our Charity fund. Thanks again to all who supported our efforts.
Then on Sunday, it was time for my Hexie workshop - several ladies who came along to the workshop had done English Paper Piecing before, heck , some of them could remember their Laura Ashley kits from the early 70s - I had one in needlecord, never finished.
But new to most of them, I think, was the use of downloadable graph paper, the idea to print it onto freezer paper and the endless possibilities of dissecting hexagons into a myriad of interesting shapes. Little did they know that they would be spending their Sunday discussing equilateral triangles and I even overheard someone say the word rhombus!! Who'd have guessed.
We all had a lovely, if chilly day, without the constant whir of sewing machines and here is a peek at some of the hexies made on the day. I apologise to any of you whose hexie doesn't seem to have made the mosaic.
To make up the numbers on the mosaic I popped in my latest EPP project, bottom right. I intend it as a Christmas cushion, it is making up faster than I thought.
I had hoped for much sewing today but spent time instead tidying up my sewing room. I had an extra shelf put up last week so was able to sort, and change stuff round in my endless quest for order amongst the chaos.......getting there!


10 comments:

  1. Great hexies, love the little gingerbread man!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha, I spent the weekend putting up new shelves in my sewing room too! Where does all the stuff come from? The hexies are lovely, esp. like the gingerbread man! Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice pillowcase and your class have produced some great hexie patterns. Di x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great hexies :-) and your pillow mate there is bound to be a big hit!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooooh I love this girly pillow slip and Bunny is the perfect sleep companion.
    What a busy weekend...I'd have liked to see some of those white elephants...they might have matched a few of mine!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That tiny pocket is full of the cutest bits of fabric. Good work with the white elephants and the hexie class sounds fun.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The pillow slip is so sweet and lovely EPP!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brilliant - and anyone that gets people to say Rhombus gets my vote!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the bunny and her pillow! Wonderful hexies - the gingerbread man is particularly fab!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very cute wee bunny/pillow combo, and cool FQs

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...